26 November 2010

Cornbread Stuffing (or dressing if you prefer it outside of the bird)

One evening a few years ago I decided to make pork chops for dinner.  Dee was at work, and I wanted to have it ready when she got home, so calling her and having her pick up stuffing mix wasn't part of my plan.  But I really wanted stuffing to go with dinner.

So as I was tooling around the kitchen getting everything else ready I was thinking about how I could manage the stuffing.  And then it occurred to me- what's in cornbread stuffing anyway?  Why, cornbread of course!  And I had made that the night before so I still had half a pan left.  But what else?  Some other bread source.  I had part of a loaf of bread that was starting to go stale, so I set that beside the cornbread and began rifling through the spice cabinet for whatever else would be appropriate.  This is what I came up with.

Cornbread Stuffing

1 pan of cornbread
10 slices bread of your choice, ripped into small pieces
2 cups chicken broth (can also use 2 cans or 1 box)
2 tsp onion flakes
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp ground sage
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Combine all of the dry ingredients, including the spices, in a large bowl then pour in the broth.  Stir until all of the breading is moist.
If you're making dressing, spoon the mixture into a pan and even the top.  Cover it with aluminum foil- shiny side down- and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
If making stuffing, spoon the mixture into the bird and bake as normal.  (Note:  Please use a meat thermometer and make sure the bird is done according to health and safety standards.)

Good stuffing requires a good base, so here's the recipe for cornbread that I use.  This one isn't mine; my former mother-in-law gave it to me.  It's been passed down by the women in her family for at least 3 generations, and it's the best, easiest recipe I've run across.

Cornbread

(It's best to make this at least 2 days in advance so it'll have time to dry out.  If the cornbread is too moist it can cause the stuffing to be a bit mushy.)

2 cups yellow corn meal
2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 tbsp vegetable oil

Before starting, put a tbsp of shortening in your skillet* or pan and place it in the preheated oven at 350F.  This will allow the shortening to melt, and the skillet to get hot.  When you pour in the batter you should hear it sizzle as the outside begins to cook.

Mix everything together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon and pour it into the heated skillet or pan.*  Bake at 350F until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.




* If you don't already own one, invest in a good cast iron skillet- it's the best thing in the world for making cornbread, and most everything else as well.  Be sure to get one without a wooden handle so it can go into the oven without any issues.


Now this is really just a base.  You can add anything you like to this from water chestnuts to apples.  I've started adding leftover plain couscous to mine, which adds a nice texture.  Go crazy & be creative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment